The Treasury Department is responsible for the following:
- Achieve the Financial objectives of the Council
- Manage the Financial affairs of the Council.
- Control and supervision of all statutory and financial accounting.
- Ensure that adequate internal control is in operation to safeguard the assets of the Council, and ensure, as far as possible, the accuracy and reliability of the accounting records.
- Make all efforts to ensure that value for money is achieved throughout the Council.
The Head of the treasury is responsible to the Chief Executive Officer for the management of the financial affairs of the Council. The treasury comprises of four (4) sections namely the Income Section, Expenditure Section, the Payroll Section and the Stores.
The functions of the Treasury would include:
- Preparation of Budgets / Estimates and Financial Statements.
- Financial Returns – Internal and External.
- Financial Reports / Advice to other departments.
- Monitoring expenditure and income.
- Payment to suppliers / employees and allied functions.
- Receiving and lodging fees and dues accruing to the Council.
- Recoupment of sums due.
- Investment and borrowing.
- Reviewing and strengthening Interval control spectrums / procedures.